Saturday, December 6, 2014

My Poppy

On Wednesday November 26th my sweet, sweet "Poppy" went to Jesus.  It was after a short and unexpected battle with an infection in the ICU.  My heart is broken.


Growing up I lived less than 5 minutes from him and my grandmother's house.  I spent many, many countless hours and nights/weekends there with cousins on Harrison street. There are memories of special meals, walks around the block, late nights with ice cream and movies, many books read, and many, many hugs.  My grandfather loved us all so well and was so proud of all five of his grandchildren.  He never missed an opportunity to tell us he loved us. I am so thankful for that.  One of my favorite memories will be each night when we would stay at Mimi and Poppy's house, Poppy would get a marble and place it between his fingers.  He would then sit in his recliner that was located directly under a small crack in the ceiling.  All five of us would sit with anticipation gathered around his feet as he would blow on the marble and magically it would disappear into thin air.  We would all race upstairs and some how (still haven't figured this one out) it would be hidden in one of the bedrooms.  It may seem simple, but its those memories that I cherish. 





I am glad he got to meet 3 of his great grandchildren and so thankful that he was in town the day I announced to my family that there would be a fourth.  He may not had met Walker on earth, but he is holding him in heaven until he meets us in the next few days. 
I will never forget when Poppy met his first great grandson for the first time.  His eyes welled up with tears and he just stared at him.  As he passed him back to me he whispered to me how proud of me he was.  So very thankful he got a chance to love Banks. Banks might never remember him, but I will remember each of their meetings. 


Part of Poppy's greatest legacy will be his love for his wife. He loved my grandmother with a type of love that I was certain would never waiver...and it never did, he loved her the same (if not more) 15 years after she had passed than the day they met.  Still, after 15 years without her, he couldn't speak her name without his eyes filling up with tears.  Their love is in inspiration to me. 


As both of my grandparents are not gone on my dad's side, theres definitely a hole left in my heart and in our family.  He was a wonderful man and a wonderful grandfather.  I am thankful that I have my siblings and cousins to share these special memories with. I am more thankful to know that he is reunited with his creator and rejoicing in heaven.  I will cherish each of my memories and tell my children one day about their great grandfather and the man he was.  His passing is the perfect example of the circle of life, as his life passes on, a new one is soon to be started.  I pray that Walker will have his ability to love.  We love you Poppy and your legacy will never be forgotten. 



1 comments:

Cameron said...

i always loved Poppy! and i'm certain that Poppy and Walker are together right now as the Lord prepares your heart and home to welcome Walker onto this earth.