Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Lawson's Birth Story

Lawson's birth story was a little different than I had planned, but I guess thats probably the way it always goes. 

It started on Thursday night when I began having contractions on and off starting around 3am.  This went on all night and we thought this MIGHT be it. Matt got up and packed the car, put in the car seat, I started to get my bags together.  Well after about two hours of on and off contractions, they stopped.  We went to bed and woke up the next morning like usual.  That day (Friday) Matt went to work and I told him I would call him if anything changed.  I continued to have contractions all day. They were about 20 min apart and were most intense when I was up and walking around.  If I sat down for too long they would get farther and farther apart.  My mom, mother in law, and I went to the mall to walk and kill time.  Around 3-4pm I continued to have contractions getting closer together, about 8-10 minutes.  I called my OB on call and they said I had to wait until they were 2-3 min apart!  I was VERY nervous about this considering it was my third baby, but I did as I was told and didn't go in.  The contractions slowed down a little that night.  My parents kept the big boys so JUST in case I went in to the hospital, we didn't have to figure that out.  Contractions went on ALL night every twenty min. VERY little sleep was had (I slept in my clothes with the lights on because I knew it was ANY minute).  Well none the less the next morning things still weren't picking up.  I had been in labor for almost 48 hours and I was plain old exhausted.  Matt and I took a walk that morning and I again called my OB because I was frustrated and still having contractions every 6-8 minutes.  She said not to come in, but I just had this feeling that I wanted to come and check things out.  Just see how he was doing and see if I had progressed at all. Against her better judgment, Matt and I headed into the hospital (after a trip to chick fil a haha).  

We got there around 9am and they suggested we walk around for 2 hours and then come and get checked.  I walked the OB floor for two excruciating hours.  I was having VERY painful contractions every 3-4 minutes.  At this point the pain was about a 7/10 and it was intense.  I wanted to wait to get checked after EVERY minute of those two hours because I knew that was my best chance of getting to stay and not sent home.  I knew was having this baby soon and I knew I needed to be there.  Well I made it the whole two hours and I was in so much pain (8/10).  I got back to the triage room and she checked me and I was 6cm and contracting every 2-3 minutes.  They quickly said they would admit me.  I was admitted about 11:45.  I got into my labor and delivery and they immediately ordered the epidural.  Y'all...the pain.  I have NEVER experienced anything close to this.  My OB broke my water around noon or a little after.  After my water broke the pain was an 11/10, just unreal.  I never knew I would be able to survive that type of pain.  I honestly have very little memory of this time period or what went on.  I stayed on the birthing ball because it was all that would give me any relief.  The anesthesiologist came around 12:15 and immediately when he started putting the numbing shot in my back I had the NEED to push.  The only way I can describe it is I had NO control.  My body was going to push and I couldn't stop it.  Well Matt had been asked to go the waiting room because dads are not allowed in the room during the epidural.  My family had JUST arrived at this point and he had just started to fill them in on everything.  Well as the anesthesiologist started to put in the hardware for the epidural I knew the baby was coming.  I asked him how fast can he make this work...his answer "not soon enough."  He was right.  I told my nurse the baby is coming NOW!  Well the anesthesiologist left and I started yelling to get MATT!  Well my OB was also far away so they paged her to come NOW.  

Matt had no sooner sat down and was praying with my family for a healthy delivery when he got paged to come back NOW.  He was coming back to the labor and delivery room when he passed the anesthesiologist who said "son, if you wanna see your child born I would RUN!"  So Matt was RUNNING into the room (along with my OB who was RUNNING into the room) and one tiny push and Lawson was here.  Matt did get to see him born but he was 20 seconds away from missing it...and so was my OB haha.  She just had time to put on one giant glove haha.  He was healthy and very purple when born...Matt was a little concerned about his dark color haha.  But all was perfect and laying our eyes on him made the whole crazy 48 hours disappear.  He was here and he was so very perfect.  Even after this being my third time I am simply in awe of Gods miraculous creation.  There is nothing on this earth more miraculous than a baby being born.  His every little perfect finger and toe and beautiful eyes and tiny bit of hair, every detail...just perfection.  Every. last. detail.  Just perfection, our love was instant for that little guy.  I thought my heart might not be able to make room, but it absolutely did. My heart is filled with little boys and I love it. 

It was quite an experience having a baby without an epidural.  I never in a million years would think I could do it, but God is in mercy carried me the whole way.  I remember it being very, very painful, but I can't remember those details. Again, God has a way of letting you forget the pain and remember the joy.  So, so thankful for a healthy baby and a healthy delivery.  My recovery has been so fast and easy, and with three little ones I am grateful for that! 

We have been busy settling in and soaking up these newborn moments.  This will most likely be the last time we do this and I don't wanna forget a thing.   He is just the sweetest, best baby.  He has infinitely enhanced every minute and day he has been here and I wouldn't trade him for the world.  Lawson, you are so very, very loved.  Not just by me, but your daddy and your big brothers cannot get enough.  You make our family complete, we love you, little man! 

1 comments:

Amy said...

Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. I can't get over this crazy birth story! You are such a trooper, friend.