Monday, December 7, 2009

This Man Called Jesus


Since we moved to South Carolina when I was 9 and started attending Lake Murray Baptist Church, my family has been involved with it's Christmas production, "This Man Called Jesus." When we first signed up we thought, oh how fun, a little Christmas play! Well, we learned very quickly that this was a lot more than a "little Christmas play." It started in 1988 as a little roadside manger scene and has progress from little tents to big tents to now a 2 hr production in a building built exclusively for these productions every year. Now about 30,000 people come every year from different cities, states, and even different countries to see this wonderful production. I have personally had many different roles through the years. I started out as a child who danced and walked with Jesus in one scene (which has since been taken out), market place person, and an angel. My brother one year played boy Jesus and had a scene to the song "Mary did You Know?" This scene got taken out too (am I sensing a theme!?). He also played Malchus (boy who Simon Peter cuts off his ear) and he even sang part of the song "Watch the Lamb." My mom has been a market place person, an angry shouter, a mourner, and a "Shout with Joy Dancer." My sister has had many of the same parts as me. Well, I know its hard to believe if you know my dad, but he has definitely played the biggest role out of our family through the years. He got his first job after a few years of just being a parking lot attendant and it has stuck. He is Caiaphas, a high priest who is involved in the trial of Jesus and ultimately helps decide his fate of crucifixion on the cross...AKA the bad guy! The sad this is that he has gotten really good at it! He can make the best mean looks and scare of the day lights out of some one in the audience :)

This is a picture of all the people that come to each performance (usually 17 of them in a season)

This is a crowd scene with Jesus
This is my dad! He is in the blue costume.
Here he is again...

Even though I am not in it anymore, I HAVE to see it every year or my Christmas is not complete. It displays the TRUE meaning of Christmas in a very real way. I would encourage everyone if you haven't seen it to go this year. The performance have already started and there will be more next weekend. It is completely free, but make sure you get there early to get a seat! For more info, just email me :)

4 comments:

Courtney said...

will you be home the 13th or the 20th? Durham is playing baby Jesus on both Sundays at 2:30 :)

Cameron said...

you can't forget about sneeking out of the tent to go play on the golf carts with the parking attendant guys and getting caught by our moms. therefore, we were punished by being unable to attend a youth party at your house that night...hehe!!!

Alyssa said...

court- i might be! I will definitely have to come see Baby Jesus Durham :)
cameron- um yea, I def remember that...but if you remember we were punished but both moms caved and less us go anyways :)

Debra Dele said...

I agree that this is one of the best Christmas MUSTS, and not just in Lexington. I thank your family for introducing me and your church for keeping me coming back for more! It's so great to see you doing well! I ran into your family the other day in TJMaxx (surprise, surprise that I would find Lauren there! :) and they said you were doing well, enjoying life in Charleston. I know you're happily enjoying married life! Now that you know I read you blog, I'm not a stalker... right? :)