Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Could I be a 'Stage Mom' in the Making?

Have you all ever seen the show "Toddlers and Tiaras?" If not, you should just watch one episode to see the ridiculousness.  It is basically a bunch of mothers that think their 4 year old little girl is the prettiest, smartest, and most talented child they have ever seen.  I mean, its YOUR kid, of course you think they're the best.  I have always thought, don't those mothers know that their child has a large forehead and buckteeth?  I am convinced that the truth is- they don't know.  Its like they are blinded and because its their little girl they cannot see their flaws.  I obviously don't know how it feels to have a small human of my own, but the truth is I am scared I am already turning into one of those blinded stage moms.  Here is why: I think my dog rocks.  I think he is the cutest dog that has ever lived...and the most talented.   As much as I try to deny it, its the truth...I honestly think those things.  Why am I sharing this?  Well...this weekend is the Southeastern Wildlife Expo here is Charleston.   Its like the largest wildlife expo in the nation and its here in my backyard.  Although Matt and I have never been to this exact competition, we have heard about the Dock Dogs Competition.  We have seen a similar competition on TV before, maybe you have too.  Its basically dogs that can jump insanely long distances off a dog after some kind of toy.   Here is a clip from last years dogs at SEWE:


They are pretty good.  They are actually amazing.  This is the sad part- some part of me believes that Tiger could just go out there and jump that far, too.  We have never even measured how far he can jump.  So now we are left with the dilemma, is Tiger good enough? Does he have what it takes? Should we just go for it?  The truth is Tiger can probably jump like 7 feet and those dogs jump 25...but who knows? The real question is...am I one of those insane stage moms????

Here is a picture of Tiger from last summer jumping off my parent's dock. 

SEWE is this weekend so we don't have much time to decide.  Matt thinks we should probably wait until next year (aka Alyssa you are crazy), but I am not sure.  I just don't want to be shamed in front of all those people when Tiger belly flops at like 3 feet.  Now I have to try to separate my stage mom side (the one where Tiger is the BEST, most talented dog that has graced the planet) and my realistic side that says he is probably just like any other average lab.  Ugh...what do to. 

1 comments:

Becca and Craig Jones said...

Um do it! And Craig and I want to come watch. We go every year. I am thinking we need to do a little Saturday morning breakfast and go to SEWE! Come one come all :)