Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Design on a Dime

Continuing with my decorating theme of the weekend, I continued my work upstairs.  When we moved in we only had furniture for one of the guest bedrooms and the other had been a catch-all room.  We had a twin bed in it, but everything was pretty mis-matched.  I had been looking for an inexpensive way to makeover the room.  I didn't set an exact budget, but I didn't want to spent a lot of money. Here is what I did:
1. Free is BEST!  My mom called me a few weeks ago and said one of her clients was getting rid of a really nice, barely used, king-sized mattress, did I want it?  Duh...YES! Originally I thought it would be nice in the master...but I wasn't willing to give up my queen sized pottery barn "hudson" bed for that. So...the guests will just get spoiled with a big 'ol king bed!  That launched my re-do of this room. 
2. I needed everything for a king bed- bed frame, mattress pad, sheets, comforter, king sized pillows, etc.  I started to think...hmm...this could get pricey!  I started with the bed frame (I don't have a headboard yet...still pondering that).  I called around to several Goodwills until one had a BRAND NEW king bed frame for $14.91.  done.  I then headed to Ross and got a mattress pad, on clearance, $20.  My mom came through for me and brought some king sized sheets.
3. Bedding.  Dillard's has an awesome "white sale" a couple times a year and they have GREAT deals.  Lucky for me, it was this weekend!  We ran up to dillard's and some one had just returned this whole king set (shams, euro shams, quilt, bed skirt, etc), and they marked it dirt cheap.  It actually was perfect for my room. So for ALL the bedding, including 3 throw pillows, I spent......$88.
If you're keeping track, our total is now $122.91
The walls are going to be painted this weekend, I am thinking a tan color, but overall I think it looks pretty good. 


Ok, so here is my one "splurge," if you can even call it that.  I wanted some kind of different, possibly nautical, pillow for the bed.  I saw this at Marshall's Homegoods for $24.99...it was perfect! 
While we were there I also found this lamp in the back on double clearance for an even $20. That ship is Matt's, which I used to hate, ha.  But now that is has the perfect spot, I am liking it a little more...  :)
This cedar chest was my dad's great grandmother's.  One day I am going to get around to refinishing it, but for now it sits under the window in the guest room and store the quilts my grandmother made me.
The other stuff in the room like the night stand, pictures, mirrored dresser, curtains, and plant were things I already owned and brought back to life. 

So if  you have been paying attention our grand total for a whole bedroom re-do is $167.90, and that includes the bed! Can't beat that!

1 comments:

Alyssa said...

you're giving the actual 'Design on a Dime' a run for its money! love the "pops" of red! hope you're well!