Sunday, July 17, 2011

DIY- Painted Furniture

Have you ever just looked at a place in your house that you have looked at everyday, but then one day you think to yourself, "I just don't like that anymore..."  Well that is how I have been feeling about my breakfast nook lately, and now I have a plan.  Well the first part of my plan including painting the shelf I had in the corner.  I have been wanting to paint some furniture for quite some time and I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to just jump in and do it.  I used this tutorial to follow along with since it was my first experience. 
 Here is the shelf before
 This is the area right now, I obviously need curtains!
 We started by sanding it down and then covering it in an oil-based primer

 I decided to paint the inside of shelves green and then the rest white. 
 Green is done!
 Even with the primer it ended up taking a few coats to get the color I wanted
 We then finished by painting the rest of it white
 Pretty happy with how it turned out


I also realized that I didn't like any of the things I had on my shelf either...so I tried to make it a little better, and I think I like it like this...but I am still getting used to it.   We will see...any opinion/suggestions?

Overall, my first furniture painting experience was a true success!  It turned out great and I am now thinking of what to paint next!

2 comments:

Kayla said...

Looks awesome! It really brightens up the corner!

Kathryn said...

I love the green and white!!! You're so crafty. You would totally inspire me to paint if I knew where to begin.