Thursday, May 26, 2011

Veggies and Oprah

Remember that little garden I planted a few months ago?  Well I have been diligently watering and caring for it daily over the past couple months.  I have seen all kinds of flowers, buds, and vegetables!
This was my first official vegetable that I grew!  It is a banana pepper and it was delicious :)

Posing with my banana pepper

I wanted to do a before and after of the garden...I think it grew a little bit

Before:

 Just a few months later:

 I picked this Zucchini yesterday and we are going to have it for dinner tomorrow night, isn't that fun? I feel like such a farmer!  I am harvesting the crop and feeding my family, ok so maybe I am getting a little ahead of myself, ha!
 Okra starting to grow
One little yellow squash trying to grow

On a completely different note, did any of you watch Oprah's farewell show?  I will be honest, I have watched Oprah on and off over the past couple of years.  Its been a long time since I have seen it, but I did DVR the last show because it was sure to be a momentous event. I have mixed emotions about Oprah...I just don't really know what to think.  On one hand she has dedicated her life to service and helping others- whether it is educational scholarships, victims of abuse, or giving away cars to people who need it. On the other hand, she undoubtedly has some questionable worldviews.   As I was watching the final show I was shocked to see how many reference she made to God and Jesus.  She went as far to clarify which god she was referring to and she specifically said the one and only, omnipresent G-O-D.  Her closing comment was "to God be the glory." I was a little bit impressed at her comments...but a little hesitant to believe all of it.  Did anyone else watch, what did you think?

1 comments:

Victoria said...

Hey! I watched the last show out of curiosity, too. While I have to appreciate her Soli Deo Gloria comment at the end - she is soooo lost on the Truth. "We are born, therefore we are worthy." Um...oops. "You don't have to worship Him, Pray to Him, Talk about Him, just know He's there." Um...oops again. She picks up on a few popular verses and takes them out of context...and ignores the difficult portions of the Bible - on adultry, homosexuality, etc... What scares me most is that thousands of people take her word to be the gospel. Much like other cowardly preachers and evangelists of today, she leaves aside the harder to swallow but true parts of the Word and causes people to live in a false-hoped world of "if I'm just a good person, love others and believe in God, I'll be OK." She is idolized. She proclaims "Jesus" but is she a Christian. Is she IN Christ? Not for me to decide, I guess. :)