Thursday, December 8, 2011

Palm Island Part 1: Travel

Well I know you have all been in such suspense...ha, but it is time to do my first post about our vacation. 
Matt and I left the morning after Thanksgiving and headed to Palm Island which is in the West Indies and specifically one of the islands of St. Vincent and the Grenadines.  It is a pretty small island (only about 135 acres) with no air strip on it, so it takes a little while to finally get there.  We spent pretty much a full day in travel to get there- but well worth it!
We took a plane to Miami and then a plan to Barbados.  When we got to Barbados we were a little worried because we only had 30 minutes to get through customs and onto our plane!  All fears were diminished when we stepped off our big plane and saw a sign that said "Cogdill"- the resort got us through customs separately and hurried us onto our next plane- quite a way to travel!
I got a little nervous when I saw the size of the plane we were going to be traveling in.  The flight was also an "air taxi" so we had to make a few stops on the way there- nothing like adding a few take-offs and landings!
Matt was really stoked about pretty much getting to sit in the cockpit and watching them fly the plane.  I was not so stoked, but we made it out alive : ) 
The one nice thing about this flight (took about 1.5 hours) was that we got to see the West Indies from an aerial view and they are beautiful...the pictures do not do it justice! 


View out of the widow of the plane 
I told you, we were pretty much flying the plane. 
Our trusty Pilot!
The good news is, we finally made it to Palm Island!  After we landed in Union Island (yes, Kathryn, I traveled all the way to the West Indies to end up in Union!) we took a small ferry over to Palm Island.  This was the view outside of our room...heavenly!
Another view from our room
Happy to be in Palm Island! 

More to come on the trip later!

0 comments: