I have never doubted that I have had a good mom...maybe the best mom. As a mom and daughter grow up I believe you definitely go through many stages in your relationship. Of course as a child there is very much the role of disciplinarian and parent, but then as you phase into adulthood somewhere along the lines the roles change and she begins to become your friend. As I prepare to be mother myself I look back at my life and my mom's role in it so differently. I am overwhelmed by appreciation and all that she gave up to be there for us. One of my biggest fears is that I will not be as good of a mother as my mom was to us. Will I have as much patience, energy, intuition, love, compassion, and the ability to say "no" sometimes? Will I be fun and spontaneous, yet strict and consistent?
Of course with three kids the question always lingers, "well, who's the favorite?" My mom has always said that she was a success if we all secretly thought that we were the favorite. This is true for me, as she has always been my biggest fan. There were so many things that we did as a family, all five of us, but there were special things that just belonged to my mom and I. Growing up it may have been gymnastics or cheerleading, now it may be special restaurants or shopping trips. She never missed a single competition in the 10+ years I spent cheerleading. She was so involved and invested in it that many times she would pick all the winners before the judges ever made the announcement. She has always been the first to recognize my accomplishments and triumphs, but also the first to pick up on my disappointment or failures. She is always in my corner, always cheering me on.
She has given me so many things that only a mother can give you...things that are irreplaceable and unmatchable. She has given me a magical childhood, confidence, self-worth, determination, stability, and a best friend. As much as I have fought to admit this for so long, we are exactly alike in so many ways...its almost scary at times. We can't be mad at each other long because as we probably think about why we would be upset we realize we would have acted or said the same dern thing. She raised me in a Christian home, not by shoving it down my throat or a list of legalistic rules, but by showing me her relationship with the Lord and the joy, contentment, struggle, and ultimately sweetness that only a relationship with Him can bring. She continues to give selflessly as she will again give me something that is irreplaceable and unmatchable. She has quit her job and relocated to Charleston to keep Blakely and Banks for my sister and I. She is giving me the ability to continue to work, but all the while knowing that Banks is safe, fed, changed, and most importantly loved all day long. But that is what I expect from her because that is just he kind of mother she is....and now that is the kind of grandmother she is.
So on this mother's day I want to recognize my mother...who never gets enough credit, who would give and give selflessly to all three of us...who always has. Thank you for all you have done for us. You have set the bar very high as to the kind of mother I want to be. I love you.
How We’re Organizing Our Digitized Photos
4 weeks ago

2 comments:
I'm the favorite...Sorry to burst your bubble.
Hahahahaha I actually know who is the favorite, but I am sworn to secrecy!!!! Never been on your blog Alyssa but wanted an update on baby news, so now I'm going to be up all night reading!! Miss you all!!!
Post a Comment