Thursday, May 24, 2012

Nursery Part 1

So I have debated about even putting these pictures out there...but I caved and here they are.  I always feel like seeing a project in completion makes it much better than seeing the steps along the way...BUT I want to really show off my husband's handy work.  I want to first make it known that Matt did this pretty much ALL by himself!  He read some tutorials online and looked at a few youtube videos and decided he could do it...and he did!   I had mentioned before that we wanted to do board and batten in the nursery.  I couldn't decided if we should do just one wall or the whole room, we decided to do the whole room and I am SO glad we did!  I will break it down in the basic steps that we took.  This is a fast-forward version of a project that took about 2 weeks or so to complete. 
Step 1:  Clear out the room of all our guest room furniture.
Step 2: Measure the height we want for the board and batten, draw the line (we chose roughly 5 feet). 
Step 3: Pick a paint color (easier said than done) and paint above the 5 foot line.  I went with a bold color because the majority of the wall will be white so why not go bold?!?

Duh, orange...my fave :)

My hot hubby hard at work...back off ladies, this handy man is all mine ; )

 Step 4: Measure out where each of the "batten" pieces will go (we did 17 inches apart I believe).  We just marked with a pencil and made sure that we wouldn't have to cut around any electrical outlets.  
 Step 5: Install the top board around the top.
Step 6: Install the batten boards around the room.
Step 7: Paint it all with Kilz.

Step 8: This was the most tedious step...caulking each little board on each side...this was Matt's least favorite part.  We also trimmed out the window because it was not done before. 

 Step 9: Admire all your handy work and start moving the baby furniture in!!!
 We got to assemble the crib on Mother's day...what a special treat!  So glad I got to see it all put together finally!  LOVED IT!


I am not going to show the whole crib put together...I will save that for another post.  Currently the crib is up, bedding is on, chair and ottoman are in, dresser is painted and in room, and rug is laid down as well.   We have a lot of work to do on the "little touches" of the room, but it is coming together.  The only tricky thing with the board and batten and putting stuff on the wall.  You can't put anything too big because it has to fit at the top of the wall. 

Anyways, hope you love it as much as we do!  I have to give another shout out to Matt...he really took the time to make it special for Banks.  So far he's a pretty good baby daddy ;)

0 comments: