So Banks' birth story is one that I will never forget. Not because it was anything memorable to anyone else, but I still can't believe that it all happened. The last few days have definitely been the craziest, most tiring, stressful, sweet, unbelievable, and amazing days ever. Honestly every day is getting a little easier and more rewarding. Warning to all who read, this may be a little more "uncensored" than other posts, but after you have a baby your censor of "appropriateness" gets a little off, haha.
Well our story began at 3:45am Thursday morning. I woke up with a weird feeling, it was dull and can best be described as a period cramp. I had one and then had another little one around ten minutes later. I debated about waking Matt up and telling him because it honestly felt so mild and not like anything real. I got out of bed, used the bathroom and decided to go sit on the couch and see if anything else happened. I did wake Matt up and tell him that I was having very light cramps, he should stay sleeping, and I would wake him up if anything changes. Of course he immediately freaks out, but I tell him its probably nothing, so he attempts to get more sleep. About 30-40 minutes later I noticed that these pains were getting a little more intense, but they were very irregular. They would be every 2 minutes, then 10 minutes, then 15 minutes, then 8 minutes. So of course I am googling what "real labor feels like," and everyone says that your contractions are regular and just increase, but aren't sporadic. So I figured that it was nothing. Well again, the pain increased. I decided to wake Matt up and he told me to call the OB. It was around 6:00am at this point. He told me that it could be real labor, but to wait until they got stronger and I couldn't "talk through them." I did just that and they did start to get so painful, but still very sporadic. I got in the shower and the contractions were coming every two minutes and I was doubling over in pain. This pain was legit and only getting worse. We called the OB back a little before 7:00am and he said to come on in and they would put me on the monitor. We frantically packed the rest of our bag, I got ready, we loaded up the car (Matt accidentally loaded up his car not thinking and then had to switch everything because I obviously had the car seat in my car, haha). One thing the OB did tell me was to eat some good breakfast before I got to the hospital because they would be starving me probably all day. That was good advice because it was very true. Well we swung through Chick-fil-a. I had a bad contraction while at the window with the poor, sweet guy giving us our biscuits. He probably thought we were crazy, haha.
We arrived to the hospital, headed up to L&D, and got put on a monitor. Sure enough I was having contractions and they were about 4 minutes apart. I was 3-4 centimeters dilated and about 90% effaced, which was good because I had been 2 and almost 90% at my OB visit the day before. They admitted me and the real fun began :) I asked for an epidural right away and I could not have been more happy when the sweet anesthesiologist showed up in like 10 minutes. I got the epidural and it was HEAVEN! I have no shame in saying that the pain was a little out of my league and I wanted to kiss that anesthesiologist when the pain subsided. I went from 3-4 to 5-6 and 100% effaced over the next hour or two and things were going perfect. I was contracting great every 2-3 minutes and had no need for any extra help like pitocin. After we got to 6cm Banks had a decel, then another. They weren't major, but they were decels and my OB was "watching them." Sometime a little after this we had the one scary moment of my labor. I was contracting great and then all the sudden I had a long contraction that wouldn't stop, it lasted 5 minutes and Banks did not like that. They had to get me turb, which was a medication to stop the contraction, which was a quick shot in my arm. There were a lot of people in my room and although most people were calm, I was really panicking. There was some one in my face talking about risks of a C-Section and had me even sign a consent just incase we had to do it emergently. I prayed to Jesus begging him to keep us safe and he laid his hand on us and answered my prayer quickly. The contraction subsided quickly after giving the turb and everything went back to normal. His strip actually looked better than before and we never had another decel.
The next complication wasn't dangerous, but it was terrible. About 5:00pm I was around 6-7cm and 100% effaced. It was then that I started noticing that I would grimace a little through my contractions. Well over the next few contractions it got worse and worse. It was a little after 5:00 and I was in extreme pain with each one. I called for anesthesia to come back and they said they were "on their way." Well I also told them I was having pressure so they checked me and I was at 8cm. Anesthesia never came and over the next hour I went from 7cm-10cm very quickly. Around 6:00pm I told Matt to go tell them I had to push right now and I am in intense pain. He went and got everyone and they told me there was no time for anesthesia, the baby was coming! Now for all of you who planned to have natural labor, at least you were prepared. I was NOT prepared and I was very scared. I started pushing around 6:00 and I cannot describe the pain. I honestly didn't know if I could do it, but all I could think about was my sweet baby boy and that we were minutes away from seeing his sweet face. I pushed with a purpose and was able to get him out in 20 or so minutes. In a way I am glad that I was able to feel those last few moments of him entering in the world, and the feeling of him coming out of me was something that I cannot describe. We heard a cry and then I saw his sweet face and all his brown hair. Emotions flood through you and your life is instantly changed. I was so proud that I did it and so happy that he was here. The love was immediate...another thing I can't describe. He was so perfect and he was all ours. They swaddled him up and passed him over for me to kiss and snuggle. He was so alert and stared right into my eyes. Yes love, I am your mommy.





4 comments:
He is soooo precious!!! He is truly an amazing Gift from God! We already love him so much! Pam and Jeff, aka Papa C and Mama C
What a good birth story! I'm so glad things went well. He is just perfect!
That picture of you looking at him with a tear on your cheek, almost made ME tear up!! So happy for you three. He's beautiful.
Alyssa, I totally cried reading this. What a sweet story! I'm so glad I got the privilege of photographing him and seeing what great parents you and Matt already are. He's a perfect baby and I cannot wait to watch him grow up!
mj
Post a Comment